Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Baby and a Pie

Well, I did promise a baby picture, but I was gone all weekend and extremely busy since I've been back. So here's the newest member of the family.

This is Hannah Grace McCann. She was born on 8/14/08 at 8:01 am. She weighed 8lbs 1oz and was 21 inches long. Loretta is doing great, although still a little sore from the C-section. John is still getting used to changing those baby diapers. Big sister Chelsea is pretty much the one changing all those icky diapers that daddy doesn't want to change. Her hair may look black in this picture, but she's definitely going to be blonde. She's got some nice blonde highlights going already just like her big sister had when she was born.

I'm sure I'll update you on my weekend before the end of the week. First, I would like to share my first experience with baking a blackberry pie. I've never done one before, even though my husband says I'm a pretty good pie maker. Although his favorite is apple.

Here, Andy is pretending that he's helping me measure out the fresh blackberries that he and our friend Kathy picked Sunday night.
Here's another picture of the berries and the pie almost done. It just needed a top crust.Yes, that is definitely a homemade crust. I figure if I'm making a homemade pie, the whole thing will be homemade. Besides, a beautiful flaky crust is the best part. I didn't take any pictures of the completed pie after it baked. Just trust me when I say it was a beautiful golden brown. I did try a piece last night, and I'm going to rate it 3.5 out of 5. Why such a low rating? I'm not a fan of all the seeds in the blackberries, and I was picking seeds out of my teeth all night. However I do have a ton of blackberries left. Does anyone have a good recipe for blackberry cobbler? I think I'm going to try that one next.

Well, I'll update you on the weekend in a day or so.




3 comments:

megawatt miler said...

i love blackberries! when i am lucky, my mom gives me some from their yard, i dont know any recipes but i put them in yogurt for a snack.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful baby. I love blackberries too -- just plain though. Yum!

carriegel said...

i second that. that is one beautiful baby and i love the name.

i freeze my blackberries in a pan then put them in bags. right now i am obsessed with pancakes so that is where most of mine have been ending up lately. yum.