Thursday, July 3, 2008

Friday Jam Making

In anticipation of starting my new blog, I made sure I took pictures during my annual jam making. I always know summer is here when my freezer no longer has homemade strawberry jam stuffed in every available nook & cranny. So, Andy went to the Cooley Farm and purchased 10 quarts of strawberries for me to have oh, so much fun with. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of all those strawberries before I started work. Luckily I had a friend helping and she washed and cut the tops off the strawberries. However, here is a picture of part of the process:





I really don't mind mashing all the strawberries, that's the easy part. Actually the whole thing is pretty easy, but when you've done 5 batches of regular jam:




And two batches of sugar free jam:



And we can't forget about the strawberry pie I made at Andy's request:


You tend to get a little annoyed with strawberries. That did not however, stop me from trying the pie, and I must say it was the best I've made so far.

All this took about 6 hours. Yes, 6 hours of standing in the kitchen and over the stove. It's a good thing we have central air and that my children are pretty good at entertaining themselves.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend! Part of our weekend includes Andy finishing up the deck in the back. I'm sure I'll post the results of that project on Monday.





4 comments:

carriegel said...

yum! i haven't made jam in a long time. we have blackberries in the woods behind our house, maybe i should do more than freeze them this year.

jporterGOP said...

that jam looks tasty. grandma made some last season that was very good.

megawatt miler said...

that looks good!

JP said...

Strawberry jam reminds me of dad and probably always will. His preference: Smucker's Strawberry Preserves. As for me, I don't like jams, jellies, preserves, jell-o, or syrup. It's a mix between all the sugar and the texture.